AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Electric motors and controllers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Junkyard motors parade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 4:21am
Thanks Johny! I think this is one of those lessons, get sure you have enough cooling before every component is in place. Now it will be hell to access the motor.

In fact, I think I should contribute to the thread "Some don't for EV building". I have a lot of them, I commited so many errors! :D
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 5:44am
Originally posted by peskanov peskanov wrote:

Thanks Johny! I think this is one of those lessons, get sure you have enough cooling before every component is in place. Now it will be hell to access the motor.

In fact, I think I should contribute to the thread "Some don't for EV building". I have a lot of them, I commited so many errors! :D
There can't be too many - it MOVES!
Did you leave the fan housing on the motor or remove it to get it shorter?

Edit: many not may

Edited by Johny - 22 March 2016 at 5:44am
peskanov View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 6:22am
I will upload some pics of the conversion (hopefully soon), so everybody will see the kind of hacks we made in this conversion. Hacks is the precise word, for many of them :D

Thanks to one of those "hacks", we fitted the motor with original fan and housing, plus an encoder protruding a few cms out of it.
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2016 at 6:27am
Originally posted by peskanov peskanov wrote:

I will upload some pics of the conversion (hopefully soon), so everybody will see the kind of hacks we made in this conversion. Hacks is the precise word, for many of them :D

Thanks to one of those "hacks", we fitted the motor with original fan and housing, plus an encoder protruding a few cms out of it.
Please do. You never know - someone might be able to suggest an entertaining way of force cooling the motor without you having to rip it all apart.
peskanov View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peskanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 7:12pm
Good news: the motor seems to keep cool enough with the original fan (at modest speeds). We will see if it still works that way in summer.

And now the bad news; I dismissed that old "don't" on EV conversions: I bought the batteries to soon. One of them died the fist year (these are very low quality AGM, cheapest I could find); the plastic box was low quality and cracked under pressure (VRLA), slowly pouring a lot of acid.

Riding the car I found 2 more of them dead, one of them going from 12V to 7V, and the other one right to 0V!

On the good side, I found another EV conversion in my country, and it seems to be legal:

http://elektrun.com/elektrun-english-blog/

Who knows, maybe some day I will be able to legalize my conversion!

Edited by coulomb - 26 March 2016 at 3:18pm
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 10:16pm
Didn't understand a lot of the thread (I'm not electrically inclined) but was good to see the effort was worth it in the end.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic