AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iMiev Recall notice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iMiev Recall notice
    Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:48pm
So has everyone gotten the new recall notice? Something about a software update to the Cell Motor Unit.
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by bmscott bmscott wrote:

So has everyone gotten the new recall notice? Something about a software update to the Cell Motor Unit.

Yep. Sounds bizarre!
CMU judgement of changes to the temp and voltage of the traction battery can occur when the vehicle is rolling backwards, and this may result in lack of forward acceleration.

A similar issue which I wish they'd fix is that if you're on an incline, the iMiEV will roll when not in Ready. I've been parked in a driveway which slopes down to the road, listening to the radio. Then thinking the iMiEV is on (or ignition not activating "ready"), dropped the handbrake and thought I was driving into the road only for the iMiEV to stop dead. Lucky no-one was driving towards me or I would have been t-boned. Another owner in USA has told me he ripped his charging cable out due to this same issue as he charges on a slope. Bad design, just not sure how to fix it. In an ICE, you hear the engine so you know its good to go, and the charging cable interlock just prevents the iMiEV going to Ready rather than stopping it from moving.

Edited by zzcoopej - 11 May 2017 at 1:00pm
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.evpositive.com
Ultralights View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 12:36pm
Just got back from the mitsubishi service centre, 2 recalls are due, first is the Motor unit software update, second is an airbag recall, apparently very recent, notice has been given, but no parts allocated as yet for the recall.
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Ultralights Ultralights wrote:

second is an airbag recall, apparently very recent

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely sit on my hands for a while as we don't even bother getting Mitsu to service our iMiEV as its out of warranty.

So you now have the same iMiEV + PHEV combination as us! Pretty sweet complimentary pair eh? How much did the iMiEV cost you and how many km did it have on it? Did you find it privately or at a dealer?
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.evpositive.com
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2017 at 6:45pm
yep, PHEV and now the Imiev. i met you up at the newcastle EV show, as for the Imiev, got it for $9K, 31,000km   privately through gumtree,   it was advertised for quite a long time, so i am sure it was known to members here, it was under finance, so made the transfer a little tricky, involving meetings at banks etc, but for the price, i was happy to go through that to get it.   and it also needed things like tyres desperately, i didnt drive it until the tyres arrived for fitting in the last few days.

With the PHEV, and Imiev, we will not have to buy a liquid fuel again unless its for trips beyond the Sydney basin.

I took it on a range run today, just lapped the local area, with about 10Km on the freeway at 110Kph,   mixed eco and B mode, driving it as i would a petrol car, quick off the lights etc, drove it 1km on turtle mode, 90 km from full to parking in the driveway.

Edited by Ultralights - 13 May 2017 at 6:48pm
Hippie403 View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippie403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:50am
So i-MiEV has the lethal air bags too? This issue has been known about for ages, very poor of Mitsubishi to take so long to address the issue. Is is only the passenger front airbag? Would it be safer to disable it until it is replaced?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Hippie403 Hippie403 wrote:

Would it be safer to disable it until it is replaced?

HELL NO...    its recalled because it might fail 1% of the time, or cause injury ,   so if you ever need it, its still got a 99% or more chance of working safely, but if you disconnect it, it has a 100% change of failure and causing injury.
Hippie403 View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippie403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:42pm
I thought the failure mode was peppering you with lethal shrapnel? In a low speed shunt where the airbags are triggered it could kill you, when you would have been uninjured if it was disabled. Turn off and wear a helmet?
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by zzcoopej zzcoopej wrote:

A similar issue which I wish they'd fix is that if you're on an incline, the iMiEV will roll when not in Ready. I've been parked in a driveway which slopes down to the road, listening to the radio. Then thinking the iMiEV is on (or ignition not activating "ready"), dropped the handbrake and thought I was driving into the road only for the iMiEV to stop dead. Lucky no-one was driving towards me or I would have been t-boned. Another owner in USA has told me he ripped his charging cable out due to this same issue as he charges on a slope. Bad design, just not sure how to fix it. In an ICE, you hear the engine so you know its good to go, and the charging cable interlock just prevents the iMiEV going to Ready rather than stopping it from moving.

Yeah, I have done that roll away not in ready too.
I guess you need to be able to tow or tow onto a flatbed even if you can't get to 'ready', so locking vehicle in park wouldn't be a friendly solution. How do other EVs deal with this issue ?
The other point to note is that you are flattening the 12V battery if listening to radio and i not in ready. (DC-DC is not operating)
iMiEV MY12     95,100km in pure Electric and loving it !
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ultralights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 5:39pm
Motor software recall all done, still no update on the airbag recall.

My driveway is on a slight incline, and i have had the car roll down, thinking it was in ready mode, only to find i cant steer easily, and the car goes nowhere at the bottom, i might try to see if i can do it again now the recall is completed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic