AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I-MiEV Charge stopped before completion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I-MiEV Charge stopped before completion
    Posted: 09 March 2017 at 8:43pm
I-MiEV Charge stopped before completion.

On a number of occasions charging of my i-MiEV has stopped before completion. Just turning the power off and on restarts the charge but sometimes I have had to do this multiple times before the charge goes to completion.   The fault has occurred in November 2014, 2015 and 2016, a few times over a couple of weeks in each case. On all occasions Canion showed no abnormality in cell conditions.   After the 2014 incident Paceway Mitsubishi servicing found a fault code indicating exceptional voltage on the 12 volt system and after the 2015 incident EV Shop found fault codes that they interpreted as indicating a transient control bus problem.

This fault has occurred with 2 different charge cables, from 3 different power circuits, and has occurred before and after replacement of the auxiliary battery and the entire MCU (Control Unit-EV Motor was replaced under warranty in October 2016).

All incidents have occurred at my Darlington WA home; may be there is something strange about the Darlington mains power in November?

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2017 at 10:35pm
Hi,
I've had my 2012 imiev probably less than a year but since I don't drive it all that much and then short distances (other times, I take a Vectrix), I've started to do what they suggest and not fully charge it often.

So if I take it down to half charge, I'll just guess and have the timer run for 2.5 or 3 hrs, say. So for quite a few days, I'll do that and the charge might be 2 or 3 bars down.

Somewhere along the line, it occurs to me to fully charge it and this seems to work ok.

My car is not showing any of your symptoms, that is, it charges to all bars.

When you say it stops before completion, do you need it to be fully charged particularly? Does it stop one bar down or two and is there a usual place it stops at? for interest sake.

I'd be inclined to run it down to only 2 or 3 bars and then fully charge from there and see if it sorts itself out. Maybe it's having a middle-age crisis and is forgetting where it is.

Edited by bladecar - 09 March 2017 at 10:50pm
philipowen View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2017 at 3:56pm
Bladecar,
Thanks for your comments. The problem has always occurred when charging from a low value, well under 8 bars, and when it gets over 8 bars after a couple of restarts it will usually go to completion.   But it is a rare problem, only a few times in a bursts every year with no occurrence in the intervening 10 or 12 months, so it is hard to identify a pattern.   
Usually I do need to fully charge with our trip pattern being a couple of 70 to 100 km outings at the weekend and then one charge to cover several short trips of 20 km during the week.   As recommended, I run it down to 2 bars every once in a while but most of the time it is between 16 and 4 bars. The charge stopping is really only a big problem if I have come home late one day and need to charge fully overnight for a long trip the next morning. If I am charging while at home during the day I will notice if the charge light goes off too early.
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2017 at 8:59am
philipowen,
Thoughts....
The 'November each year at Darlington' has to be a big clue.
Power quality, temperature, time of day, switching loads at your house or neighbourhood. Western power transformer tap switching as season changes.
Do you ( or neighbours ) have grid connect solar panels ?
What time of day did the charge stop occur ?
When you say that you have tried two charge cables, are they both the factory EVSE boxes ?
Was it the EVSE that terminated the charge thinking there was a power issue ? Or the imiev ?
What was the display on the EVSE ?
When you say power off / on cleared the fault, do you mean switching power off at the wall GPO ? This cycles the EVSE input.
Can I suggest simply pressing the release button on J1772 connected then releasing or just removing the J1772 and re inserting to see if that restarts the charge.
Have you tried or are you able to try a '16A' EVSE ? I am guessing the 'charge cables' you mention are 10A units.
iMiEV MY12     95,100km in pure Electric and loving it !
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 9:45pm
acmotor, Thanks for your thoughts....

>The 'November each year at Darlington' has to be a big clue.
>Power quality, temperature, time of day, switching loads at your house or neighbourhood.
>Western power transformer tap switching as season changes.

I don't know of anything unusual about Darlington except something that has just occurred to me, we are a Solar City area that has remote meter reading. I don't know how this is done but may be Western Power or our meter sends out some high frequency signal from time-to-time.

>Do you ( or neighbours ) have grid connect solar panels ?

We have 4.56 kw of solar panals and 2 inverters, but very ordinary stuff, inverters are SMA.

>What time of day did the charge stop occur ?

Haven't recorded that but various, and always day time, but that is when I mostly charge.

>When you say that you have tried two charge cables, are they both the factory EVSE boxes ?

One is the original "10 amp" the other is a Clipper Creek 16 amp. The problem first occurred with the Clipper Creek so I switch back to the original and it happened with that. I use both regularly and it has occurred with each about equally.

>Was it the EVSE that terminated the charge thinking there was a power issue ? Or the imiev ?

I don't know how to tell. Just once I was standing next to the i-MiEV when I heard the charge click off and saw a transient fault indicator light come on on the i-MiEV panel but didn't notice what the indicator was. I took that signal on the i-MiEV to indicate that it had caused the fault.

>What was the display on the EVSE ?

I have never seen any fault indicator light on the EVSE, it just goes to the ready, not charging state.

>When you say power off / on cleared the fault, do you mean switching power off at the wall GPO ?
>This cycles the EVSE input.

Yes, I just turn the GPO off then back on.

>Can I suggest simply pressing the release button on J1772 connected then releasing or just removing the J1772 and
>re inserting to see if that restarts the charge.

Could try that, I guest that what shows if the EVSE has gone into a peculiar state.

>Have you tried or are you able to try a '16A' EVSE ? I am guessing the 'charge cables' you mention are 10A units.

Done that, see above.

Thanks again for considering the problem, I'll look into the remote meter reading and how it is achieved.
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2017 at 11:32pm
OK, perhaps getting to the issue then...

More thoughts..

Always day time ? November and maybe March/April is similar condition ?

Grid connect solar causes ripple on the 240V mains. This is likely to be at 3% or is it 5% max distortion of the pure sine wave. Ripple frequency depends on your and neighbour's particular GCI units. Typically 100s to 1,000s of Hz. Note signalling frequency on J1772 is 1kHz IIRC.
Many factors are in play with the GCI ripple.... PV current at that time of day, grid voltage (GCI can get noisy as grid nears 260VAC cut off point), impedance of mains feed and so on.

You could enquire of Western Power what their logged voltage and transformer tap change operations are around the November time.
I've not seen it but the imiev may terminate charge if grid gets above 260V. (only a guess)

The remote metering signal may be getting through to the imiev though I would expect the GCI ripple to be a lot greater magnitude.

Yes, sounds like you have eliminated the EVSE.

You may need to set up some power quality measuring in November or contact Western Power to get them to put one of their power quality monitor boxes at your house for the month. I did that a few years back and it ended up that an auto tap changer on a transformer local to me was causing faults that made my UPS flick at about the same time every day. When their own logger showed the problem they took it seriously and sorted it !

It will be interesting to see if you can track it down.
iMiEV MY12     95,100km in pure Electric and loving it !
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2017 at 6:19am
Hi

You know why you've chosen to charge during the day and it doesn't help that this fault is random but if the fault happens frequently enough that you're expecting it some time soon, I suggest simply charging at night to deal with this ripple influence. If it shuts down also at night, that will tell you a little more.

Charging at night is just one more air-conditioner equivalent on the power supply load in case it's being green that influences this decision.
I have one non-4WD with the fuel consumption (but not the pollution level) of a 4WD and I use it infrequently for recreation, mostly spent passing 4WD's on the road.

I think that if you pass a sewer pouring into a stream, you don't think twice about pissing into it at well.
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2017 at 2:26pm
I phoned Western Power and they were quite friendly but the person I spoke to was not the technical type so suggested that I send them an email query which I will do. They did tell me that the meter reading is done every 30 minutes, not just bi-monthly as I had expected.

Supply voltage could be an issue as we are on the fringe of residential and I have observed that the charger power usage over 4kw on the 16amp cable, but I only occasionally measure the power.
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2017 at 1:14pm
Acmotor,
I think you could be right about the power supply causing my charger to stop. I looked through the i-MiEV workshop manual and discovered that the charge voltage limit is 265, error code 6. I have also been observing our supply voltage as displayed on the solar inverter. The voltage is usually over 250 and I have seen it up to 254, unfortunately the inverter does not keep a record of the voltage.
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
bladecar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bladecar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 12:06pm
Hi Philipowen,

Could you tell me where you got the i-MIEV workshop manual from, please.
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2017 at 1:39pm
I got WSmanual with the vehicle on a CD. I had to pay extra to get it.

I never managed to install the Mitsubishi software to read it but discovered that if I copied the data files to a memory stick I could read them with a browser. The files need to be on a memory stick so that the file names are not case sensitive.
2012 iMiev since 2013.
32000 km.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic