AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i-MiEV 2010 Keyless battery dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i-MiEV 2010 Keyless battery dead
    Posted: 18 October 2016 at 1:50pm
I've recently noticed that the "key" icon on the dash flashes for a while before detecting my key, however today it failed completely. I fortunately had read somewhere that you can remove the ignition switch cover and insert the physical key once the key is removed from the key fob. PHEW the car is still drivable!
So its time to replace the CR-2032 button battery, any tips eg will I need to get the key re-coded?? I couldn't find the info I previously read about the 2010 iMiEV keyless system.

Edited by zzcoopej - 18 October 2016 at 1:55pm
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
Battery App EvBatMon for PHEV & iMiEV iOS(iPhone,iPad)& Android
www.evpositive.com
reecho View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reecho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2016 at 8:09pm
No just replace the battery. It will work fine...
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 4:04am
Originally posted by reecho reecho wrote:

No just replace the battery. It will work fine...

Cool, thanks. I'm really surprised the physical key alone works, as it implies there is no immobilizer which I thought was standard on all cars in the past 10yrs or so?

Edited by zzcoopej - 19 October 2016 at 4:07am
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.evpositive.com
bmscott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 8:00am
> I'm really surprised the physical key alone works, as it implies there is no immobilizer which I thought was standard on all cars in the past 10yrs or so?

What good would a key be if it didn't work? I though immobilizers either worked via keys that have built-in circuitry, or - well I'm not sure how else they'd work.

I do know that proximity keys like the iMiev's work differently than the usual remote/keyless entry systems. This makes them more functional and also more expensive to reprogram.

But any battery-operated unlocker needs a backup that works unconditionally.
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 8:19am
This is similar to a thread back in 2014 - here.
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 10:41am
Originally posted by bmscott bmscott wrote:

What good would a key be if it didn't work? I though immobilizers either worked via keys that have built-in circuitry, or - well I'm not sure how else they'd work.

I once had a Daewoo with an immobiliser built into a lump on the key, it used a close proximity energiser coil to run the onkey chip (a bit like Tap n Go credit cards). We had 2 keys and only 1 immobiliser, so I broke the "chip" off the key and stuck it to the steering column so both keys would work. The car was crap so it wasn't getting stolen anytime.
The key in the Mitsu Outlander PHEV is identical in appearance to the iMiEV one, however it must have an immobiliser chip as there is a place in the dash you insert the key if the key battery is flat.

Edited by zzcoopej - 19 October 2016 at 10:49am
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.evpositive.com
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Johny Johny wrote:

This is similar to a thread back in 2014 - here.

Thanks for that, I'd missed that thread. That confirms there is no immobiliser in the 2010 iMiEV so any "locksmith" can steal it.

Edited by zzcoopej - 19 October 2016 at 10:50am
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.evpositive.com
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 2:34pm
My understanding is the Australian ones had to be fitted with an immobiliser to be registered, but it is separate to the keyless entry system. That blue flashing led is associated with it. It seems like it isn't activated unless you lock the doors with the button on the remote key.

I have a 2007 delica with apparently the same keyless entry system. That will start with the physical key if the remote battery is flat, but the remote needs to be physically there attached to the key, so presumably a proximity type system.
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2016 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by mikedufty mikedufty wrote:

That blue flashing led is associated with it. It seems like it isn't activated unless you lock the doors with the button on the remote key.

This is probably the answer, we leave our iMiEV unlocked in the garage so I guess I didn't need to "deactivate" the immobiliser with my dead key. PHEW!

Originally posted by mikedufty mikedufty wrote:

the remote needs to be physically there attached to the key, so presumably a proximity type system.

That's definitely not the case with the iMiEV as I've been driving it 2 days with only the physical key, the "black bit" is back home on my desk so definitely not needed.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.evpositive.com
zzcoopej View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzcoopej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2016 at 2:39pm
Got 2 replacement Maxell CR2032 for $2.49 inc postage and I've been back up and running for a week or more now. Cheap fix, if only they were all that easy & cheap.
2010 iMiEV
2015 PHEV Aspire
www.evpositive.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic