AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Members Machines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EV2Go's - Lithium Powered Trike

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieJester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:23pm
Power to you   but the JAG rear end is an icon in street rods, bewildered why your spending the $$ on ...what your spending it on, power to you
overkill is ...good ...if you can afford it...i guess.. curious though, have you ever ridden a trike? Your a bike rider obviously, if so, i fail to see the attraction of a trike they are the most boring things to ride IMHO..I look forward to this anywayz, no expense spared project should freakin ROCK!!! all the best mate

KiM
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 12:10pm
By the time the taxman slugged me gst, freight costs, custom costs, other miscellaneous costs, gst on the freight and the customs costs (talk about double dipping)

Ouch... my bum hurts big time!

Well the additional diff centre parts are on the way from the US, but not before my wallet was made more than $2000 lighter.

Still have the housing and axles to sort out, but I am a little wiser for the Strange purchasing experience.

All going well the parts should be here by the end of next week and I can post a pic of the bits so far.

I have a backup plan in case this project blows out too much. I can still use all the parts for a RWD Mini project instead.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 11:32am
Santa came early, I wasn't expecting him until Friday...

Just got some freight costs back from Dutchman Motorsports and with a Dutchman IRS Housing, axles and Wilwood brakes costing more than $3000 AU delivered I am really struggling to justify the cost, especially since that $3k only gets me as far as the uni joints on the IRS housing

I might have to resort to a Strange fixed housing and axles at a more moderately priced ~$1000.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
woody View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 11:49am
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:09pm
I wish that car would get off my arse it has been tailgating me for hours
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 11:03am
Ok well plans have changed once again... as much as I really wanted to do an IRS rear end, in the end I decided I just couldn't justify the extra expense, so I have ordered a 30" flange to flange housing from Strange.

I figured by the time I include driveshafts and some light weight suspension parts I was looking at an additonal $4000 over the top of a single piece housing.

Since this could wind up being an expensive pile of scrap metal I just couldn't do it.

Going back to the original design means I have had to rethink the whole placement of the batteries, since the rear diff will now be moving, which means I now have to plan for more movement of the tailshaft which I originally planned to run between the batteries in a solid tunnel...
Electrocycle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrocycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2010 at 11:44am
just make it a hardtail :)

The Engine Whisperer - fixer of things
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 12:59pm
To be honest that would be my preference, cut down on frame size required for the diff moving, less fabrication with not needing to make some kind of suspension arms, smaller tunnel required for tailshaft to pass between batteries, less cost.

Downside... batteries may not like the solid suspension.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrocycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 7:06pm
give the batteries their own suspension :)
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 8:32am
unfortunately not possible due to the despersal pattern of the batteries.

This is a paint pic which I use for a test bed of ideas, as I change my mind the old idea gets deleted.

Looking at something like the front of the frame bottom left, and batteries bottom right, far right top and bottom are semi finished top views.

EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 12:13pm
Diff housing arrived from Strange Engineering on Monday pics below

Edited by EV2Go - 03 March 2010 at 12:15pm
AussieJester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AussieJester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 12:19pm
That diff wouldnt look out of place on a trophy truck racing in the Baja 1000 :-|

KiM
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 12:32pm
Is that all alloy - including the hub flanges?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrocycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 3:22pm
looks all steel
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2010 at 4:26pm
Correct it is all steel from flange to flange and it weighs 14kgs without axles (told they will be about 17-18kgs). The diff centre assembled weighed about another 23kgs. Use of an alloy 3rd member saved around 10kgs.

Just need to sort out some disk brakes and rotors now (probably Commodore), then I can order the axles with the right stud pattern and offset.

Edit: 23 not 13 kgs.

Edited by EV2Go - 05 March 2010 at 6:57am
Goombi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goombi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 2:46pm
Any rear suspention with hydraulic shockers with adjustable tension in corners the trike will lean just enough to giwe you the feeling
As soonas the trike has weight in cornering the mercury spring loaded sensor will pressurise the heavy side of the trike from the light one and keep transfering oil from one to another in cornering Just a thought   cheers
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:24pm
Been giving the suspension some considerable thought since there are so many types of suspension designs to choose from. Because the mounting points are going to be in a fair way (chassis will be 50cms wide max) which means some types will be harder than others to impliment.

At the moment I am leaning towards something like an old HQ-WB Holden with the 2 lower trailing arms going forward and 2 more trailing arms above the diff angling out to stop the housing walking.

Instead of using seperate coils and shocks I have picked up some cheap coil over from ebay.
Goombi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goombi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 4:56pm
EV2go do you ever visit auto wreckers? they can cut the suspencion anchors and part of suspencion including coils to fit even get a decebt diff --financially comfortable--
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2010 at 1:07pm
Spent a few days this week at the wreckers, I don't know if it is just me but I consistantly find wreckers difficult to deal with...

Finally decided on some mags / stud pattern (Ford 114.3 PCD +25mm) and went to buy some brakes for the trike this week, and because I wasn't really sure what model Ford brakes I required, I needed to have a look a few different model.

Well after some searching I found what I needed, long story short the owner was crappy at me because his yard hand took them off a diff he wasn't supposed to and he was blamming me for a decision I didn't make.

Then because they gave me the calipers off an AU series 2 and the rotors off a series 1, I needed to take the rotors back. Because they were still annoyed at me for something that wasn't my fault they replaced them with these really rusty looking things that wouldn't clean up without a full resurface.

So I checked to see how much that was and it cost $50 for both rotors, so rather and go back and argue the toss with the wreckers I just gave the series 2 rotors to the brake mob and ordered some new Brembo rotors for $68ea.

If I knew earlier I could have just gone back for series 1 calipers but I had the series 2 calipers reconditioned before I found out they were different rotors.

Anyway... the mags I have ordered are below (6 stud shown), the only 5 stud pattern I could get was 16 x 7 Ford, so that is what decided the brakes.

EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 8:13pm
Quick Update:

With using a custom diff housing, the housing end flanges are not the same as the AU Falcon the brakes come off.

This left me with a little bit of a flange pattern miss match. In order to correct this problem I could either try to modify the factory backing plates or have new backing plates made.

Since the factory backing plates are some kind of cast iron or cast steel welding up the bolt holes and re patterning them didn't really appeal to me, so I opted to make new backing plates.

Decision time...

Do I go with 20mm alloy plate and try mill them into shape or go with 10mm steel?

Well after chasing all over town and speaking with various people trying to find out the best way to construct them, I decided on going with the 10mm steel plate. The factory plate is only 8mm and made out of crap so the new plates should be much stronger.

Next up was how to make a steel plate look like a backing plate... I was going to have it machined until someone put me onto a couple of places in Toowoomba that do waterjet cutting.

Some more running about I got quotes of $160 and $190 for basic waterjetting (machining only). Another person I spoke with in my travels mentioned I should look at laser cutting.

Had a chat with them today and they said they could laser cut and supply the 10mm plate for $20 each... decision made.

I still need to notch a circlular groove in the backing plate for where the disc rotor sticks out a few mm and, drill the four holes to mount to the housing, and the two caliper holes, but it is looking much cheaper than it was starting to look when I first started investigating the idea.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrocycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:01pm
you should be able to get all those holes laser cut at the same time
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 1:11pm
yeah I could but my time costs nothing, but far more importantly I want to try do as much as I can on this project rather than paying someone else to build it for me.

The main reason I wanted to build a vehicle from scratch is to get the feeling / buzz that I have taken a number of raw materials and turned it into a real going concern.

Once I have these backing pltes sorted out I can then finalise the axles / offset and get them ordered. Since these guys are so cheap provided they do a good job on the backing plates I plan to get them to make some diff suspension mounts as well.

If I use a gearbox (which is becoming more a reality) I am concerned I won't have sufficient tailshaft length to have active rear suspension.

If I put a spongy rubber in the bottom of the battery box would this be enough to give the batteries a fighting chance?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electrocycle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2010 at 5:49pm
I think if you mounted the battery box on some "engine mounts" or similar it would be ok - as long as they can handle the impact required.
EV2Go View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EV2Go Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 3:16pm
Well true to form I have once again changed my mind...

I got the 10mm plates back from the laser cutter the other day and I am impressed with the results for the price I paid... rarely you can say that about anything custom where they haven't ripped you big time at the checkout.

Over the last couple of days I have been thinking that I was a bit hasty in deciding on the right brakes for this project.

So I have been back in the books doing some more research, I really don't need 287mm dia rotors that are 16mm thick for a trike. So I have come up with something a little more sensible.

Nissan Silvia S13/180sx, S14, S15 rear calipers which have the handbrake build into the caliper. The rotors are 258mm dia and only 9mm thick which is more than enough, plus it simplifies the handbrake.

On the motor front I was looking at an 11" motor with about 144v (nominal) but just recently I have been thinking I might be better off going for a 11" - 192v or 250v instead and just run 60Ah batteries instead of the planned 100Ah.

Since it is harder to pull big Ah out of the batteries I figure I might be better off if I start with more volts... your thoughts?
Goombi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Goombi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2010 at 3:41pm
Motor you are chosing surely will have the High and low voltage differenciation 144 volt motor will suffer a stress if you pump 195-250 volt I am not sure what Motor and Controller is to be used   but surely there has to be some synchronisation and compatibility-- Controllers are known to explode if abused and burning motors also   I have been observing and following your trike with interest would you be needing all this super volt power? Obviously you are chosing high volt for speed low amp batteries for short distance Should that not be the otherway round?
Looking forward for more trike progress ..Cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 23>
  Share Topic