AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Technical and conversion discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric Vehicle DRAFT standards released

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwyze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric Vehicle DRAFT standards released
    Posted: 16 April 2014 at 9:41am
Standards Australia is now accepting comments from the public on the 9 electric vehicle standards drafts that it has just released.

http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/news/industry/1404/electric-vehicle-draft-standards-released/

The standards relate to electric vehicle vocabulary, occupant safety, and recharging infrastructure.

Of particular importance are the standards relating to charging infrastructure, as there are currently multiple electric vehicle recharging methods that are not necessarily compatible.

"These standards are absolutely fundamental to the development of the electric vehicle industry in Australia," Standards Australia General Manager Operations Adrian O’Connel says.

Of the 9 standards, many are safety-related, and pertain to standards for protecting users against electric shock.

Standards Australia says that the drafts are adopted from standards developed by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC), and the International Organization for Standardisation (ISO).

"These standards are the product of a concerted effort by Standards Australia and its stakeholders to ensure that electric vehicles in Australia benefit from international best practice," O’Connel adds.

In developing the drafts, Standards Australia has undergone a consulting process with the electric vehicle industry, which began back in 2011.

"These new standards break new ground for an industry which is still, in this country at least, very much in its infancy," O’Connell adds.

The standards will be open for public comment until May 8.

Drafts Open for Public Comment

AS ISO 6469.2     Electrically propelled road vehicles -- Safety specifications -- Part 2: Vehicle operational safety means and protection against failures
AS ISO 6469.1     Electrically propelled road vehicles -- Safety specifications -- Part 1: On-board rechargeable energy storage system (RESS)
SA TR IEC 60783     Wiring and connectors for electric road vehicles
AS ISO 6469.3     Electrically propelled road vehicles -- Safety specifications -- Part 3: Protection of persons against electric shock
SA TR ISO 8713     Electrically propelled road vehicles -- Vocabulary
SA TS IEC 62763     Pilot function through a control pilot circuit using PWM modulation and a control pilot wire
AS IEC 62196.2     Plugs, socket-outlets, vehicle connectors and vehicle inlets - Conductive charging of electric vehicles - Part 2: Dimensional compatibility and interchangeability requirements for A.C. pin and contact-tube accessories
AS IEC 61851.23     Electric vehicle conductive charging system - Part 2-3: D.C electric vehicle charging station
AS IEC 61851.24     Electric vehicle conductive charging system - Part 24: Digital communication between a dc EV charging station and an electric vehicle for control of d.c. charging

Edited by iwyze - 16 April 2014 at 9:50am
4Springs View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4Springs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 10:13am
Any tips on how to download them?
The link takes me to a list of standards open for public comment. I click on "download draft" and it takes me to SAI Global. I made an account with SAI Global because it asked me to.
Once in SAI Global I get a search screen. I can't seem to find the draft documents though. For example I search for "SA TR ISO 8713" but it returns no results. Searching for "8713" gives only current or superseded documents, even if I choose "draft" as the publication type.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 12:45pm
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
iwyze View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iwyze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2014 at 3:55pm
The term "DRAFT" is more related to the process of adoption/ratification of these international documents into Standards Australia library. The proposed standards are existing published documents from ISO/IEC working groups.

AEVA has had representation at all the steering group meetings (via me) since 2011. There are a number of our corporate members who have been part of the process.

Within the next 6 months there is an objective to adopt the relevant international EV standards directly where parties have been engaged and see consensus. Care has been made to avoid reinventing the wheel, or adopting a standard that would be detrimental to the Australian market. This comment is more my personal observation than a mandate.

There are a few important points:
1. Comments made elsewhere on this forum that the Australian 240v 10/15A GPO would be removed is not the case. Those with EV's know how important it is to have these available when needed at locations other than your typical destination (home/office/etc).
2. The draft documents are not attempting to block DIY conversions.
3. Where possible ease the implementation of infrastructure and in brace the same specification that both the charging equipment suppliers and OEM vehicle manufacturers need to adopt in other markets.

Jaron Ware @ Batrium BMS
Advanced lithium BMS provider
http://www.batrium.com
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 7:47pm
Thanks Jaron, the pace is glacial, but that's probably a good thing.

Very pleasing to see they are moving ahead with some sort of charging standard. I look forward to a time where ChaDeMo/Combo kits can be installed into conversions so they can make use of the DC fast charging facilities of the future.
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
woody View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2014 at 7:57pm
Hi Jaron,

Any hints as to what we might object to? E.g. Have they done anything dumb or really dumb that we should object to loudly and in great number? Anything they are wavering on and could be pushed in the right direction?

Cheers,
Woody
Planned EV: '63 Cortina using AC and LiFePO4 Battery Pack
weber View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2014 at 5:51am
The "drafts" are in fact the free downloadable files linked by Richo, but they are fairly useless. They only contain a reference to the existing IEC or ISO standard that is proposed for adoption, and information on how to comment. The number of the existing standard can be obtained more easily by removing the "AS" or "SA" from those listed above. If you want to read them you'll have to pay money. About $60 each or about $500 total. OOTQ for me.

It would have been nice to be told this earlier. I wonder how many others wasted their time downloading these "drafts".

[Edit: Added "or 'SA'"]

Edited by weber - 18 April 2014 at 5:58am
One of the fathers of MeXy the electric MX-5, along with Coulomb and Newton (Jeff Owen).
gmacd33 View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmacd33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2014 at 12:39pm
I think this might be something that the AEVA should purchase for its members - what do you guys think?

Will it have any effect on the existing NCOP 14 design standards?
Greg MacDonald
Chief Technical Officer
Lithium Battery Storage
043-848-0011
greg@lithiumbatterystorage.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic