AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Technical and conversion discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Converting a 2010 Honda Jazz to electric

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Converting a 2010 Honda Jazz to electric
    Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:29pm
I have my great Honda Jazz. It's a great little car. I would like to convert it to electric.
I am a software engineer, and a close friend of mine is a fantastic mechanic and panel beater.

The engine *works*, but I believe in an electric future and don't want to be the one polluting my children's air.

I live in Perth. So, speed in not an issue, but range is.

Questions:

* What is a producer of a *good* quality kit?
* Is a range of 140Km on 80% charge achievable? Note that I am after distance, NOT power/speed.
* Is the weight of the batteries a problem for a little car like the jazz?
* What kind of cost can I expect, for the batteries and the kit?
* I saw the "hints" section, which was FANTASTIC! Any specific hints about a newbie like me?
* What kind of money am I looking at, for the kit (controller/batteries/motor), without labour?
* As a software engineer, can I help? In terms of controller, are there programmable ones I can tinker with?
* Will it be hard to get it through the pits?

THANK YOU PEOPLE!

Merc.
Paul9 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 8:01am
Hi Merc and welcome,

Almost everyone on this forum knows more than I do but I'll throw in my 20cents worth.

* What is a producer of a *good* quality kit?

I don't know if there are any suppliers of kits now. I bought my set up as a kit back in 2008 but the gentleman supplying the kit is no longer in business. The plus about you being located in Perth is that three Aussie distributors of EV components are in the Perth area. Google "EV Power", "EV Works" and "ZEVA" to get their websites.

* Is a range of 140Km on 80% charge achievable? Note that I am after distance, NOT power/speed.

I get about 80km range from my 100ah lithium batteries so to get 140km range I guess you would need an amp hour capacity of about 180ah to 200ah.

* Is the weight of the batteries a problem for a little car like the jazz?

Probably not but people on these forums with larger capacity battery banks than mine would be able to advise you.

* What kind of cost can I expect, for the batteries and the kit?

If you check the websites of the companies I listed in my answer above, you would be able to come up with a very accurate answer to this question. Most people on here tend to estimate an all-up cost of $10,000 to $12,000 for a conversion like yours.

* I saw the "hints" section, which was FANTASTIC! Any specific hints about a newbie like me?

You keep asking questions and we will keep trying to answer them. I have continually asked questions since I started my conversion in 2008 and the people here are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

* What kind of money am I looking at, for the kit (controller/batteries/motor), without labour?

As above, around $10k to $12k but check the above websites for more info.

* As a software engineer, can I help? In terms of controller, are there programmable ones I can tinker with?

There are programmable controllers available but I have had no experience with them so can't help there.

* Will it be hard to get it through the pits?

I don't know the registration requirements in WA but I didn't have too much trouble with the rather complicated rego procedures here in NSW.

Despite my 8 years of EV building and modifying I am still a novice. Most others here will be able to give you better answers than I.

Cheers
Paul
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 8:37am
Hi Merc and welcome.
For 140km range it looks to me like you would need around 24kwh of batteries.
To get that pack into a Jazz without exceeding GVM most likely you are going to have to remove the rear seats which will give you another 160-180kg to play with - and some room. Is a 2 seater OK?
The Jazz power plant is quite light which doesn't bode well for a conversion.

The 24kwh pack (Lithium) cost may be the biggest issue. I'm guessing around $10k just for the cells. Add BMS and charger to that.
Motor and controller might be $5K to $8k.
So around $20-22k - just a guess.

A 2010 won't have ESC which is good:
"Honda has just released the new 2011 Honda Jazz GLi in Australia. It now comes standard with electronic stability control, while side and curtain airbags are optional."

but you will still have to ensure that you can prove to an engineer that the ABS system is still fully operational. There may be some CANbus reverse engineering required to convince the dashboard that there is still a working power-plant in the vehicle.
mercmobily View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 9:09am
Hi,

> Hi Merc and welcome.

Thank you!

> For 140km range it looks to me like you would need around 24kwh of batteries.

looking at this page:

EVG12V400A     12.8V     400Ah     5.1     365 x 292 x 320     55kg

Does that mean that I would need six of those?
(meaning that they will give me, cumulatively, 25kwh?
It looks to me like there will be about 10Kg per kwh.

> To get that pack into a Jazz without exceeding GVM most likely you are going to have to remove the rear seats which will give you another 160-180kg to play with - and some room. Is a 2 seater OK?

Hummmm I have 2 little children. So I guess the answer is "no"... Maybe that's the wrong car then?

> The Jazz power plant is quite light which doesn't bode well for a conversion.

OK (damn...)

> The 24kwh pack (Lithium) cost may be the biggest issue. I'm guessing around $10k just for the cells.

OK.

> Add BMS and charger to that.

OK.

> Motor and controller might be $5K to $8k.

OK.

> So around $20-22k - just a guess.

Ouch OK.

> A 2010 won't have ESC which is good:
"Honda has just released the new 2011 Honda Jazz GLi in Australia. It now comes standard with electronic stability control, while side and curtain airbags are optional."

OK.

> but you will still have to ensure that you can prove to an engineer that the ABS system is still fully operational.

I am not 100% sure my car HAS an abs...

> There may be some CANbus reverse engineering required to convince the dashboard that there is still a working power-plant in the vehicle.

Ahahaha OK.
Ideally, I would rip out pretty much everything from the dash and re-engineer it completely.

Merc.

jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 9:55am
Hi Merc,
I'm putting together battery packs using lithium cobalt cells which offer 185 Wh/kg, compared to the ~100 Wh/kg of LiFePO4. It means a 24 kWh battery for your car would weigh in at 130 kg. Unfortunately they aren't cheap - said battery would cost about $26k, but could be as low as $20k.
Chris
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 10:10am
I thought battery prices were already approaching $100/kwh -- maybe $150. But... from what I am seeing, we are still in the $500-$700 mark?

That's a bummer.
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 12:59pm
Depends on what you want really - you can source Nissan Leaf packs for about $130/kWh and these represent really good value. Likewise for crashed Chevy Volt packs. But if these two options won't fit, or can't be made to work the next options are taking new cells and building a custom battery pack. I think the LiFePO4 option wouldn't really meet your needs, but it will be much cheaper.
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 1:14pm
I see. So, the big questions are:

* Is it easy enough/possible to source a Nissan Leaf pack?
* Would it be enough for my conversion?
* How many kWh do they have?
* Is it technically feasible to purchase TWO of those packs and use them together?
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2016 at 1:15pm
(Plus, I am not a spammer... I swear! Is there any way I could be given permission to post without approval...?)
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 7:59am
Originally posted by mercmobily mercmobily wrote:

(Plus, I am not a spammer... I swear! Is there any way I could be given permission to post without approval...?)

The surefire way is to join the AEVA as a financial member ($20 concession, $40 standard per annum). We'd all encourage you to do this anyway because we're a great organisation but if you can get along to the Freo EV Festival this weekend, or a branch meeting on the second Tuesday of the month, there's dozens of knowledgeable folks who can help you.

As for Leaf packs, I'd say get in touch with Graeme Manietta in Queensland (Suzi Auto, in Springwood) and find out when he's next bringing a bunch of cells in. From memory their energy density is up around 170 Wh/kg and come in well built enclosures.
tassie_tiger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tassie_tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 8:12am
removed

Edited by tassie_tiger - 22 September 2016 at 4:46pm
My hobby interests are EV's and competitions. aeva.asn.au for ev's and www.lottos.com.au for competitions. If your partner complains about you ev'ing, send 'em to lottos!
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 9:49am
Wow that's awesome, will I see you there in person? I will definitely be there in freo!
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by jonescg jonescg wrote:

you can source Nissan Leaf packs for about $130/kWh and these represent really good value.

$130/kWh Sounds a bit unrealistic...
You mean $130 per module?!?

The cells at your door is more like $375-400/kWh

So a 24kWh pack would be like $9,000-$10,000.
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Johny Johny wrote:

The 24kwh pack (Lithium) cost may be the biggest issue. I'm guessing around $10k just for the cells. Add BMS and charger to that.
Motor and controller might be $5K to $8k.
So around $20-22k - just a guess.

I'd guess about the same.
Good work Johny
If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:47pm
Yeah whoops, sorry, I did mean per module . This post from Graeme shows his most recent figures:

http://forums.aeva.asn.au/nissan-leaf-cells_topic4640_post60920.html#60920
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:49pm
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 12:50pm
I can't access that page, permission denied...?
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercmobily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:02pm
Which brings me to my next question I guess...
Is it even possible, today, to buy a second hand electric car (converted OR originally electric) that will travel more than 100Km in one charge, for less than $15,000?
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:05pm

It appears to have been sold already.
From jonescg:
"Woah - just heard it's not for sale any more. Sorry, nothing to see here... "
evric View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:05pm

Hi, This thread is in the For Sale/Wanted section, and is only available to AEVA Members.
To Join see the Membership Menu item of www.aeva.asn.au

Regards,
Eric
AEVA Membership Secretary
Prius Plug-in Conversion: http://www.evplus.com.au ...Holden Barina EV: http://www.evric.kestar.com.au
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 1:06pm
Chris said it is not for sale any more. If you just want an already made car, there will be an i-MiEV on the market soon, and there are still a couple of demo Leafs around.
Is the building it yourself bit a major objective though?
How strict is the 140km requirement?
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2016 at 4:46pm
whose i-MiEV mike? yours?

Edited by g4qber - 22 September 2016 at 4:51pm
2011 i-MiEV - 87k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
mikedufty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikedufty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 10:27am
My father just bought a leaf. I'm assuming he will sell his i-MiEV once it is fixed.
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 12:30pm
Bought from Northside Nissan ?
2011 i-MiEV - 87k kms
2014 i3 REx 90k kms
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2016 at 12:35pm

Is it even possible, today, to buy a second hand electric car (converted OR originally electric) that will travel more than 100Km in one charge, for less than $15,000?

Most converted cars that I know of didn't have 100km+ range to start with.
The Focus was the first that I'd seen 2nd hand with that capability.
The few that did have over 100km range it's unlikely they'd be up for sale for quite a while.

So that really only leaves the production vehicles.

If you went with a 20kWh pack (~100km) that's $8k.
That's $7k for the rest.
$1500 motor
$1800 controller
$1000 Charger
$450 DC/DC (12V charger)

$2,250 left for battery boxes, cabling, fuses, contactors, mechanical couplings, motor adapter, BMS, Inspections...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic