AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Discussion > Electric motors and controllers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing an induction motor voltage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stiive Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:26am
Originally posted by cts_casemod cts_casemod wrote:

Originally posted by Johny Johny wrote:

I need a 192Cell array and the BMS itself costs almost as much as the batteries themselves.
Have you looked into BMSs that handle 16 cells per board?

I have. The most simple ones are about 80$ each = 1300$ + Shipping + 20% VAT + Import taxes.

What I need is something "simple" with an output to an external contactor and without balancing, but I would like to have a reading of the individual cell voltages

If its something simple like that, your better off designing your own.
What exactly will the BMS be doing?
Rgds,
Stiive
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 6:38am
What would be ideal for higher voltage pouch or Headway packs is a variation of Neville's BMS re-layed out for 16 cells per board.
If no shunting was really required then just leave the shunt resistors off the board.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2753&title=low-cost-bms
cts_casemod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cts_casemod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 10:08am

What would be ideal for higher voltage pouch or Headway packs is a variation of Neville's BMS re-layed out for 16 cells per board.
If no shunting was really required then just leave the shunt resistors off the board.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2753&title=low-cost-bms

I have asked him how to get those boards, actually is the best solution I have seen.

He said on an older post that depending on the memory present on the master it could hold a couple hundred cells ok, maybe I could use the same master and conect my 4 packs (I may not have the same pack on the car all the time) which would be just great!

I was wondering, Will I be able to modify the VFD to work with only 320V? Just in case I had a problem with the packs and wanted to limp back home using the remaining good/charged ones.

Edited by cts_casemod - 14 November 2012 at 10:13am
cts_casemod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cts_casemod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Stiive Stiive wrote:

I need a 192Cell array and the BMS itself costs almost as much as the batteries themselves.
Have you looked into BMSs that handle 16 cells per board?

I have. The most simple ones are about 80$ each = 1300$ + Shipping + 20% VAT + Import taxes.

What I need is something "simple" with an output to an external contactor and without balancing, but I would like to have a reading of the individual cell voltages

If its something simple like that, your better off designing your own.
What exactly will the BMS be doing?

I would like to have something like an analog multiplexer reading each cell using an optocoupler. The micro then would give me a reading that I could use to trigger the HVC and LVC and an alarm to indicate the battery was almost empty (Soc =<20%)

Using this method I could know if a cell was bad and where it was located on the pack.

Neville's BMS does all this with the option to disable the balancing which is very atractive.

My packs are removable (4x15Kg) so I will bring one home each time I use the car, so the Soc of the modules may not be the same.
ChrisRider View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 2:25pm
I have a similar project coming up also, i wasnt sure if it was actually possible to physically change the induction motor voltage. Seems as though it may cost a bit in spare parts and materials, but i think it could be worth it as long as i dont break anything in the process, hehe
Resident Engineer at Reef Bikes
ale0502 View Drop Down
Noobie
Noobie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ale0502 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 8:20am
Hello everyone, this is my first time I write in this forum.
First of all sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina.

I'm working on an electric conversion of a car from a three-phase induction motor and a bank of lead acid batteries. I'm developing the controller and all the staff.
I read the forum and understand some things and not others, plus the use of the language that makes I have to ask.

My motor is 4Kw , 2870rpm , 380V / 220V , 14.4A / 8.3A , 18 slots.
My battery bank is 120V, so I would like to modify my motor to have the best possible power with the voltage available.
What dou you recommend?

Because is a 2-pole, I can only lower the operating voltage to half, being of 380/2 = 190V, is that true??.

thank you very much in advance for sharing all this with the community

Edited by ale0502 - 01 April 2016 at 8:22am
antiscab View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Forum Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote antiscab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 8:50am
Originally posted by ale0502 ale0502 wrote:

My motor is 4Kw , 2870rpm , 380V / 220V , 14.4A / 8.3A , 18 slots.
My battery bank is 120V, so I would like to modify my motor to have the best possible power with the voltage available.
What dou you recommend?

Because is a 2-pole, I can only lower the operating voltage to half, being of 380/2 = 190V, is that true??.

If you are very lucky, all 3 x 2 pole groups will be presently wired in series.
If that is the case, then you could rewire to parallel giving 190V star and 110V delta
Matt
2008 Mazda 2 - EV Shop convert
2011 Blade Electron mk6
2007 vectrix - 117'000km
1993 Electrolux - needs batt and charger
1998 Prius - needs batt
1999 Prius - needs batt
coulomb View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coulomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2016 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by antiscab antiscab wrote:

If that is the case, then you could rewire to parallel giving 190V star and 110V delta

I'm quite rusty on this stuff, but I think with 120 VDC you will only get about 80 VAC (line to line). So that would only be 73% of full voltage for the motor. So you'll only get to about 72% of rated speed. You'll need a lot of current to get any power from this motor.

It will be a challenge.
Learning how to repair and re-flash TC/Elcon chargers and PIP-4048 inverter-chargers.
Richo View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2016 at 12:47pm
Mmm 2-pole isn't a great place to start.
The rewind would need to be ~50Vac to run on your 120V pack.
Peak ~5000RPM.
If your lucky you might get 20kW out of it.

Under 50kW the BLDC motors are probably a better option.

If the sun's not up turn your lights ON - duh! Help prevent road rage - get outta my way!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
  Share Topic