AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Production Electric Vehicles > Mitsubishi
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Buying an i-Miev in Australia - different radios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying an i-Miev in Australia - different radios

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2013 at 6:26am
Monkeyboy, Perhaps reading something like this might help with the basics.http://rikravado.hubpages.com/hub/Watt-are-Amps-and-Volts

Most homes typical have around 63A - 100A breaker on the man switchboard so 15kw - 24kw max can be taken from your feed. It's then broken up into individual circuits for lighting, power outlets, fixed appliances like hot water, oven and so on. Typically most homes just have 10A outlets. The shape of the sockets input insures only corded appliances that consume 10A or under can be inserted into the outlet. The wiring circuit (often with several 10A outlets on the one circuit back to the switchboard is only rated for 10A.

A 15A outlet has a larger earth pin hole to enable you to plug in 15A corded devices that will not fit into the 10A outlets. The 15A outlet has it's own dedicated feed cable from the switchboard and appropriately sized circuit breaker.

So if you don't have a 15A outlet in your house then it doesn't take much to sort one out. Typically just a 15A outlet $15 (clipsal) (perhaps $10 for a surface mount if needed) the wire back to your switchboard about $1 meter (x how many meters to the switchboard) A circuit beaker $5 or so for (clipsal). Perhaps $20 or so for conduit if needed.

So well under $100 in parts and then how ever much your electrician wants to charge you in hr rate (always get them to quota there hr rate and hold them to it)

The Imiev comes with a 15A plug so you can only plug it into a 15A outlet. Because it only consumes under 10A I guess you could replace the plug with a 10A one and use it in a standard 10A outlet. Though how this effects the funny rules on warranty who knows.

My view is while it dose only consume just under 10A because it doing it for several hrs continuously at the upper end of what a 10A outlet is rated at it cant be a bad thing that it has a 15A plug to give it its own dedicated feed from the switchboard (overkill yes but not a bad thing).

If your getting a 15A outlet in your garage pay a little more and go for the industrial style surface mount with the screw in ring to lock the plug in. You might not need the IP rating but they are much more solid and the screw ring locks the plug in and you can hang the brick off the flap taking the tension off the cable.

This is what one of mine looks like below.

Kurt

Edited by offgridQLD - 02 December 2013 at 7:02am
offgridQLD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 7:22am
If you looking for a good value Imiev. This is a good starting point. It's brand new car (not one of the near new or demo models) Just old stock 2012. $24,990 drive away.There is a few ex demo models floating around but there can't be to many new ones like this around anymore. This is a similar deal to what I got different colour that's about it (though if you ask nicely you might get some free floor mats.

I really do feel this limited opportunity due to Mitsubishi running out all there Imiev stock is one to take advantage of. It's a opportunity on a brand new EV wont be matched for some time once they are gone they are gone. Then it will be a matter of sifting through the limited 2nd hand market at this price point.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_1686044/new-2012-MITSUBISHI-I-MIEV--GA-MY12-Automatic-Other-Hatchback-in-QLD-SunshineCoast.html

Kurt

Edited by offgridQLD - 03 December 2013 at 4:22pm
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 7:48am
Good one Kurt I agree - that's a great deal Belinda.
Peter C in Canberra View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C in Canberra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2013 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by offgridQLD offgridQLD wrote:

http://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-sale/D_1686044/new-2012-MITSUBISHI-I-MIEV--GA-MY12-Automatic-Other-Hatchback-in-QLD-SunshineCoast.html

Kurt

Yes. Excellent deal. If I had not just bought one I would grab this. Look on Carsales. There are 28 left and nearly all have coalesced on about $25K as the going price, even for completely new.
Peter.

Edited by Peter C in Canberra - 03 December 2013 at 4:21pm
LiFePO4 '91 Daihatsu charade, May 2009 AND iMiEV Nov 2013 on the ACT's 100% renewable by 2020 power.
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2013 at 7:10am
Gabz View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2013 at 7:17am
i doubt we'll get the 2014 i-miev
Peter C in Canberra View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter C in Canberra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2013 at 7:54am
Originally posted by Gabz Gabz wrote:

i doubt we'll get the 2014 i-miev

But I think it could be ordered by anyone prepared to purchase without the benefit of a test drive through the dealer. If those of us with i-MiEVs of the current batch offer rides and test drives at EV shows we might encourage some sales. Perhaps we could even make it known at the local dealer that we would be happy for them to send queries our way.
LiFePO4 '91 Daihatsu charade, May 2009 AND iMiEV Nov 2013 on the ACT's 100% renewable by 2020 power.
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2013 at 9:37am
http://www.eclipsemagazine.com.au/summer-2011-12/i-miev

nice review on 2010 imiev
but watch out for Mitsu bias since it is a Mitsu mag.
first time I've come across this mag, after 2 years of owning the imiev.
was doing a search for "imiev western australia" using google images tab

"contact details"
indeed, Glenn Pitcher, preloved Paceway Mitsu sales, in Perth gave me a prospective buyer's mobile no.
however, he needed a slightly larger vehicle and also was interested in the volt.

Edited by g4qber - 07 December 2013 at 9:44am
bindi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 7:29pm
I have done it!!! Purchased a blue one!!! Yay!!!!! It was a demo with only 1000km on it. Have signed contract and paid, just waiting for it to be delivered next week :)))

In the end it doesn't have the DVD/screen option. I really wanted a blue car and all of the blue ones left only had the standard radio. But it will be a lot easier to upgrade the radio if I need to than change the colour.

Still haven't even test driven one - any tips on how to drive one?? LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 7:34pm
"Still haven't even test driven one - any tips on how to drive one?? LOL"

That's funny as we did the same. I don't know why as usually I am very fussy and procrastinate for ever on purchases but with the Imiev I just wanted it (I guess its not like there is any other choice for the price) I spent a weekend locked in the study researching it and made my mind up on the Monday.

You wont regret it.

Kurt
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 8:09pm
Good on you Bindi. Well done. Just stay active on the forum. Plenty of time for tips once you start driving it
Gabz View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 5:00am
Congratulations. did you get a 15amp power point sorted ?

The only tip is for the first couple of days don't take it too far until you get and idea of how much range your driving style gets. first day my wife took our i-miev to work she showed it off and took half the office for a ride, look how fast it accelerates etc.. she got home with only 1 bar of charge left.
CometBoy View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CometBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 5:50am
Congratulations also! I’m sure you will be even happier once you have driven it the first 1,000km. Sue loves hers more every time she drives it.

Only starting tips I can give is don’t be too concerned about the RR (Range Remaining) indicator. It is really a guess-o-meter. The bars on the battery charge level gauge gives you a great indication of how you are going, maybe try not taking it lower then 2 bars as a rule. Learn about the Turtle Mode in an emergency case – that should get you to a powerpoint. Maybe get a 15A to 10A adapter for that emergency case so you can plug into a standard 10A outlet.

The other thing is the extra ‘REGEN’ feature on your model, you can just very lightly touch (sometimes called feathering) the brake pedal when slowing or stopping and that does 2 things. Firstly, it gives you even more REGEN which is actually amazing the first few times you see it work. The second thing is it switches your brake lights on so the guys behind you know you are slowing down. In traffic this is a good safety thing to do.

And get a sunshade! That front window is a killer if you can’t park in the shade.

And ask lots of questions! There are lots of people on this and the USA i-MiEV forum that have helped us big time – there collective knowledge is a great resource. There is no such thing as a stupid question....

You have a great little well thought out machine!

Bruce

Here are couple of other first use stupid things you did!

The first time Sue used a ChargePoint bollard with the new EV (using my ChargePoint Card as she hadn’t received her new one yet). She plugged the stuff all in and walked away as she was in a hurry... I started getting regular annoying SMS’s about the EV drawing low current? When she finally got back to the car we spoke about it on the mobiles and she never pushed the charger connect at the car end (J1772) all the way in till you hear it click. Now there is no indicator at the car charger connector (at the little charger connector door) that the car is charging (would be nice) but have a quick look at the dash charge light and make sure it is on! There are also indicators on the charger ‘Brick’ but she had the ‘Brick’ label face down... She now checks!

And on the first night drive the lights were terrible... We quickly remembered that this model had the little wheel (numbered 1 to 4 - I think) that manually adjusts the headlight heights. This works well if you remember it’s there!

So hopefully you read and consume the information in the handbook better than us.

Edited by CometBoy - 14 December 2013 at 6:50am
adelaide-ev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adelaide-ev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2013 at 6:48am
[QUOTE=bindi] I have done it!!! Purchased a blue one!!! Yay!!!!! It was a demo with only 1000km on it. Have signed contract and paid, just waiting for it to be delivered next week :)))

Congrats!

I have also bought a blue one this week and am awaiting delivery too (Melb to Adelaide).
I really wanted a white one as I have 2 blue cars already(one of which this will replace - had been earmarked for conversion)....but I snoozed and the white ones were gone!
Also I really only had a budget for a demo/2nd hand/ex lease one however have ended up with a brand "new" one (100kms)with full 5 year warranty - bit of a stretch $$$ wise but happy with the deal.
And so excited to have my first electric car - just have to wait out the 5 years warranty period to "tinker".

"Still haven't even test driven one - any tips on how to drive one?? LOL"

Ditto as well- and picking it up from the freight depot on the other side of town! Then to the rego centre.
Had a 60 sec ride in one over a year ago and at that time dismissed due to price. Then purchased a car to convert. This has still been a handy exercise in confirming we can manage most (est. 90%) of our trips with a small, nippy runabout - at the stage of life where the term "downsizing" prevails.
The conversion was on hold until we downsized the house and upsized the shed.( So....do I still need a bigger shed?)

Have had a sit in a couple of imiev's since then and booked a test drive- only to find by the time we got there the car had been sold - so could only look again!

Most of my learning has come from this forum - so thanks all for the info put up -helped me make the decision to jump in before they are all sold.

Sally

Edited by adelaide-ev - 14 December 2013 at 7:15am
carnut1100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnut1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 5:31am
Congrats!

I drove a demo but couldn't afford one...over a year went by and mine came up at a deal I couldn't refuse...so I jumped!
Haven't regretted it!
Almost 4,000km later....

If you learn (or already have) fine throttle control then drive it in B mode. The regen will be more like manual car engine braking.

RR meter is a guesstimate only, but it's good fun driving along and seeing if you can make it climb by driving more economically....
Bars on the gauge give you a pretty good idea and after a while you get a feel for the car.

As above,check the dash to make sure you're charging!

Heater CHEWS power!
Heated driver seat sips power and works very well...

First few times You park it you will think you are right by the kerb then get out and think you need a taxi to reach the footpath... It is narrow!

Get used to people doing a quick double take and a WTF is that?

Everybody will want a ride....
adelaide-ev View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adelaide-ev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 6:31am
"First few times You park it you will think you are right by the kerb then get out and think you need a taxi to reach the footpath... It is narrow!"

Classic!!! -guess no wheel scraping on the kerb then?
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 9:35am
does anyone have ideas how to make the speedo readable in noon day sun?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 9:57am
Tint your front driver and passenger door windows. Then while your getting that done. Get them to put a dark tint strip along the top of the front window.. The front window tint strip is something that most cars have from the factory built into the glass.

I haven't done it yet but it't on my to do list.

Kurt

Edited by offgridQLD - 15 December 2013 at 9:58am
Hippie403 View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hippie403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 10:44am
I don't understand the speedo readability issue. Isn't it just a back lit reflective LCD? Those type of displays are fine in full sunlight. I don't recall ever having has a problem reading the speed in my i-MiEV.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 10:50am
I haven't had any issues reading mine.

The suggestions I gave would cut down glare in the cabin. Perhaps he is seeing some reflection on the instrument cluster clear plastic.

The tinting will save you or your passenger having the side of your face roasted in the summer. Early morning /late afternoon driving.

Kurt

Edited by offgridQLD - 15 December 2013 at 10:50am
acmotor View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acmotor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by g4qber g4qber wrote:

does anyone have ideas how to make the speedo readable in noon day sun?

I don't have a problem.
What glasses do you wear ?
I wear polarised sun glasses.
iMiEV MY12     90,140km in pure Electric and loving it !
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2013 at 4:18pm
shall take a pic next time
It's the reflection of the steering column I believe.

Edited by g4qber - 15 December 2013 at 4:20pm
g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 2:15pm

Reflection from the flat surface in front of the speedo

Edited by g4qber - 16 December 2013 at 5:07pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offgridQLD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 3:45pm
Yes that's about what I have seen a few times but its never there for long enough to be of any issue as I am not often on a long straight road . A change in direction in relation to the sun and its gone.

Perhaps even some kind of tint film over the cluster plastic? Or line that plastic surface under the cluster window with a strip of grey felt.

Kurt

g4qber View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g4qber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2013 at 6:02pm

using my hand

polarized glasses

notebook reflection

mobile phone case

Edited by g4qber - 16 December 2013 at 6:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic