AEVA Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General EV Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone run their EV from home battery storage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone run their EV from home battery storage?
    Posted: 09 February 2017 at 6:36am
Hi all - have had a request from the editor of ReNew magazine as to whether I knew of anyone who uses home battery storage (either grid connect or off-grid) to charge their EV overnight with.

I don't directly know of anyone - but seem to remember one or two members here do?

If you are interested in being interviewed for an article in the ATA's ReNew magazine - contact Robyn Deed at: Robyn.Deed@ata.org.au

Many thanks
Bryce

Edited by Bryce - 09 February 2017 at 6:36am
Current EV drive:
2011 Leaf
Past drive:
2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions:
DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 8:39am
Larry Mudd charges his iMiEV from stored PV, and I believe Jeffthewalker (Jeff Johnson) charges his Leaf from an off-grid system in Beaudesert Qld.
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
jeffthewalker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffthewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by jonescg jonescg wrote:

Larry Mudd charges his iMiEV from stored PV, and I believe Jeffthewalker (Jeff Johnson) charges his Leaf from an off-grid system in Beaudesert Qld.
Yep, charging from solar/storage as we speak.

I am corresponding with eMotorWerks with an aim to modify their JuiceBox EVSE so that it charges at a variable rate. The demand of the LEAF supplied EVSE is 2200W and that is too much to pull from my battery storage. However, when the sun is shining and the batteries have recovered from the overnight usage, there is sufficient "excess" solar to charge mainly from solar and taking some from the batteries. The problem is that I have to keep an eye on the charge because if the sun clouds over, the bulk of the charge comes from the batteries and that is far too much of a load on the batteries for their long term health. And it can easily leave the household short for the night time.

I will contact Robyn ReNew mag and tell my story.
It is hard to make predictions, especially about the future. Yogi Berra
jonescg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonescg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 2:19pm
You have so many awesome stories Jeff - choosing one will be the tough part!
I challenge you to come up with a better invention than the bicycle
nuggetgalore View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuggetgalore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2017 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by jeffthewalker jeffthewalker wrote:

Originally posted by jonescg jonescg wrote:

Yep, charging from solar/storage as we speak.

I am corresponding with eMotorWerks with an aim to modify their JuiceBox EVSE so that it charges at a variable rate. The demand of the LEAF supplied EVSE is 2200W and that is too much to pull from my battery storage. However, when the sun is shining and the batteries have recovered from the overnight usage, there is sufficient "excess" solar to charge ime.

I will contact Robyn ReNew mag and tell my story.

I seem to remember this EVSE project on an other thread. I would be very interested in a unit . I run my standalone solar with a PLC but not enough
I/Os (and knowledge) to go that far.
tinker
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffthewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 5:20am
Originally posted by nuggetgalore nuggetgalore wrote:

I seem to remember this EVSE project on an other thread. I would be very interested in a unit . I run my standalone solar with a PLC but not enough
I/Os (and knowledge) to go that far.
http://forums.aeva.asn.au/offgrid-evse_topic5122.html

I will be calling for expressions of interest as I get closer to a solution.

My communications with eMotorWerks has stalled with no replies to emails for a week or so. They were great initially showing considerable interest and saying that they have off-grid solutions in mind.

I will be phoning them in the next few days.

--------------------------------------------------------
Last email 19-1-2017 which I replied to and followed up twice...

Hi Jeff -
Thanks for your support!
Our preferred way to enable this would be through our JuiceNet APIs. Do you have a connected (wifi) JuiceBox?
What algorithm would you apply?
Thanks,
val (Val Miftakhov, PhD – Founder & CEO )
Bryce View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:46am
Thanks guys - Robyn will be happy to hear from you all! BTW: she works Mon-Thurs so won't reply now to you till Monday.

Am definitely personally interested in the topic - plan to do EV charging from battery storage as soon as my premium solar feed-in tariff runs out. Not in a hurry though, that won't happen till 2024! :)
Cheers
Bryce
Current EV drive:
2011 Leaf
Past drive:
2011 Blade Getz
Past Conversions:
DC Berlingo, AC Berlingo, AC Sprinter
Johny View Drop Down
AEVA Member
AEVA Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 7:51am
As we've talked about on the other thread, you are most likely going to be stymied by the 6 Amp lower limit on EVSE. The Leaf/iMiev chargers most likely will not go below this.

I wonder if another idea might be to create a low current CHAdeMO charger - totally current controllable?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffthewalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2017 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Johny Johny wrote:

As we've talked about on the other thread, you are most likely going to be stymied by the 6 Amp lower limit on EVSE. The Leaf/iMiev chargers most likely will not go below this.

I wonder if another idea might be to create a low current CHAdeMO charger - totally current controllable?
I have installed a 24VDC 120VAC PSW inverter. This allows me to start at 6A at 120V which is 720W.

I intend to wait till the storage battery reaches solar controller cut-off (or very nearly) and wait there for a few minutes. Then pull 720W and check battery voltage again and don't raise the current (by 1A) if the solar input is not enough to recover back up to controller cutoff.

In my case, switch on at 6A when battery sustains 28.8V for 5 minutes. If it recovers to 28.8V after a few minutes then up the current. If the battery voltage drops below 26V then drop the current by 1A or turn off if it is already down to 6A.

I am waiting for feedback information from eMotorWerks (JuiceBox).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic